Police scanner enthusiast taking the hobby of scanning to the next level. Providing two online police scanner feeds a Facebook group and a Facebook page to bring real time statewide (Oregon) information to our followers in real time.
Subscribe to this blog
Follow by Email
Residential Structure Fire - 2140 SE Balsam Avenue - 1-1-19
At 5:41 a.m. on January 1, 2019, the Roseburg Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire at 2140 SE Balsam Avenue. The fire was reported by the residents of the home.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find heavy, black smoke and flames showing from the back portion of the residence. Upon investigation, firefighters found a fully involved fire inside the back gaming room of the home with smoke throughout the residential structure. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire which was contained to the back gaming room and contents. The residents were able to safely exit the home without injuries. Unfortunately, one cat and two pet mice did not survive the fire. The residents are displaced and received assistance from the American Red Cross.
The structure which is valued at $125,000 sustained approximately $50,000 in damage. The cause of the fire resulted from bedding too close to a heater. The fire caused water, smoke, and structural damage to the residence.
A total of 11 firefighters assisted with firefighting operations. Other agencies assisting with the fire included Pacific Power, Avista Utilities, Roseburg Police Department, Umpqua Valley Ambulance, and American Red Cross.
The Roseburg Fire Department would like to remind everyone that heating equipment is the leading cause of home fire deaths. Home heating equipment fires often occur during the months of December, January, and February. These simple steps from the National Fire Protection Agency can prevent most heating-related fires from happening.
Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
Never use your oven to heat your home.
Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.