Convicted Sex Offender Sentenced to 400 Months in Prison

Washington Co. District Attorney's Office

HILLSBORO, Ore.- On March 6, 2019, Judge Oscar Garcia sentenced Daniel James Campbell to 400 months in prison. Campbell pleaded guilty to two counts of First-Degree Sodomy and one count of First-Degree Sex Abuse earlier this week. Deputy District Attorney Andy Pulver prosecuted the case against Campbell.

Campbell’s close friend sexually abused the victim when she was 11-years-old. Campbell was involved in the prosecution of his friend and even provided a victim impact statement at sentencing in which he described the friend as a “monster” who caused the victim to lose her innocence.

In 2016 Campbell himself began abusing the then 13-year-old victim. The abuse began with fondling and inappropriate touching but escalated severely over the years.

In 2018, the victim reported the abuse to her mother who then confronted Campbell with the allegations. Campbell denied the allegations and convinced the victim to recant. The victim did so and the police were not notified.

Just a few months later the victim called a suicide hotline to report she was considering harming herself. The Washington County Sheriff’s Office spoke with her, but Campbell again convinced the victim to recant her story.

In October of 2018, the victim once again was ready to come forward, this time determined to prove she was not making up the allegations. When Campbell abused her again, she took steps to preserve photographic and DNA evidence—evidence which would prove crucial in Campbell’s conviction.

After that incident of abuse, Campbell told the victim he planned to rape her a few days later. This proved to be her breaking point. She reported the abuse to a friend and the friend’s mother, who then immediately called Beaverton Police. Detectives arranged a staged phone call between the victim and Campbell in which Campbell admitted to buying condoms in anticipation of the planned rape.

Detectives then executed a search warrant. They recovered the DNA evidence and the photographic evidence that Campbell had abused her.

We would like to acknowledge the Beaverton Police Department and Detective Mike Purdy for their work on this case.

Campbell has been transferred to the Oregon Department of Corrections to begin serving his sentence.