Garage Fire

Douglas Co. Fire Dist. No.2

At 01:45 Thursday morning Douglas County Fire District No.2 was dispatched to a reported garage fire at 1646 San Souci Drive in Roseburg.  The first DCFD2 fire crew arrived at 01:56 from the Melrose Fire Station to find an attached garage filled with smoke.

The occupants of the home advised the first arriving crews that everyone was out of the structure and the fire appeared to be in the garage.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire with a small amount of water before it had a chance to spread to the rest of the home.  Other crews arrived shortly after to assist with overhauling, cooling and the removal of the smoldering debris.

The garage and its contents suffered minor damage, but caused no damage to any other parts of the structure. The cause of the fire appears to be started by cigarettes left in an ashtray near storage materials.

DCFD2 would like to remind everyone to check your smoke alarms and keep all heat sources at least three feet away from any combustible items such as paper, furniture, bedding, or curtains.

DCFD2 responded to this incident with 3 fire engines, water tender and 1 command unit.